Thursday, September 13, 2018

Mr. and Mrs. George Brown, Esquire

The Flag of Maryland

Mr. and Mrs. George Brown, Esquire


The origins of the Brown Family in England are uncertain. For some time it was thought that the Browns originated in the Colony of Saint Mary's in Maryland. This has been disproven. Likewise, some place the origin of the Browns in America on the Mayflower. This has also been disproven. Still others claim the Browns were Germans who settled in Pennsylvania. They were not, they were English who lived in Pennsylvania amongst Germans. Research is being conducted for that one piece of evidence that will link our Brown ancestor to a family of Browns in England. Several researchers now think there might have been a minister seeking religious freedom might be involved. For now, the origins of the Browns in England remain undiscovered.

We begin with George Brown. Here is what we used to think — George is the first Brown of our family born in the New World. George was born in Baltimore, Maryland somewhere around 1714. Sometime around 1730, George married Miss Nancy Stevenson, who was apparently 16 at the time, the daughter of Colonel Stevenson. The couple had a large family and there are conflicting lists of their children. George died in 1770. No date of Nancy's death was recorded.

Recent research offers a more complete picture — George Brown was a gentleman of wealth who was born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1690. In 1712, in Baltimore, Maryland, George married a native of Baltimore, Mary Stevenson, daughter of Edward and Mary King Stevenson. Col Edward Stevenson was George's brother-in-law. George's first child, Mary, was born about 1715.

George was a landowner, which speaks to his wealth. George's marriage into the Stevenson family speaks to his social status. There is another section devoted to the Stevenson Family. Mary's brother was a Colonel in the King's Army, which is fairly high in the aristocracy of the colony. Further, George's grandson, George Brown, DD, states his grandfather was known as George Brown, Esquire, which denotes a degree of landed gentry. George Brown goes on to say, "My Grand Father was from England. He was about five feet one inch in height, strongly built, and of great strength." The following lists the Land Patents of George Brown with the year, name of patent, and size,
  • 1734 — Brown's Chance, 150 acres, near Baltimore, Maryland.
  • 1743 — Brown's Delight, 350 acres, near Westminster, Maryland.
  • 1743 — Pleasant Grove, 50 acres.
  • 1761 — Brown's Plague, 565 acres, includes a resurvey of Brown's Delight.
George died on February 24, 1770, and Nancy passed sometime between 1771 and 1776. It is a long-held belief that George and Mary were laid to rest near Westminster, Maryland, on land originally patented as Brown's Delight. George's will is instrumental in establishing the family.
Will of George Brown, Esquire
In the name of God, Amen I, George Brown of Frederick County in the province of Maryland being sick in health but of sound mind and memory Thanks be to god for it [illegible] to the c[illegible] of nature my departure draweth near, so this nineteenth day of February in the year of our Lord seventeen hundred and sixty seven make and publish this my last will and testament in the manner and form following. That is to say, Item: I will and bequeath unto my son John Brown, all that [illegible] tract of land called Pleasant Grove containing fifty acres lying in Baltimore County to him and his heirs forever and nor more of my estate real or personal. Item: I also give and bequeath to my sons, George, Edward, and Richard, each of them the sum of one shilling sterling money to be paid unto each of them on demand at the end of one whole year after my decease and no more of my estate real or personal. Item: I give and bequeath unto my daughters, Mary and Elizabeth each of them the sum of one shilling sterling money to be paid unto them on demand at the the end of one year after my decease and no more of my estate real or personal. Item: also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Rachel, one feather bed and furniture and no more of my estate real or personal. Item: also I give and bequeath unto my four sons William, Henry, Hugh and Joshua after the payment of my just debts all that part of the tract of land called Brown's Plague which I shall [illegible] of being by estimation near three hundred acres to be equally divided among them after the decease of my well-beloved wife Mary Brown, to them and their heirs forever. Item: also, I order and desire that sale be made of such goods and chattels as is not above disposed of with all convenient speed in order to pay my debts. Otherwise, some part of my land called Brown's Plague as to my [illegible] hereafter mentioned shall sum and convenient and I also make and ordain my well-beloved wife, Mary Brown and my son, Henry, executrix and executors of this my last will in trust for the [illegible] in this my last will contained. In witness whereof I the said George Brown have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this day and year first written above. George Brown - Signed, sealed and delivered by the said George Brown as and for his last will and testament presence of us Jost Runkly, John Logsdon, William Logsdon
Children of George and Mary Brown (as listed in the Will of George Brown)
i Mary Brown, b. 1717; d. 1757; m John Baxter
ii [Nancy Anne Brown, b 1723; d 1765; m Richard Tidley Wells - assigned by tradition]
iii John Brown, b 1725; d 1810; m Elizabeth McQueen
iv [Sarah Brown - assigned by tradition]
v George Brown, Junior, "George the Patriot", b 1730, d 1812, m Mary Hall
vi EDWARD BROWN, b September 16, 1734, d August 14, 1823; m MARGARET DURBIN
vii Richard Brown b 1739; d February 8, 1811; m Honor Wells
viii Elizabeth Brown, m Jacob Sappington
ix Henry Brown, b 1741; d 1827; m Regina ________
x William Brown, b 1742; d 1771 (age 29); bur Suffolk, England October 26, 1771
xi Rachel Brown, b 1743; d 1818; m Michael McQuire
xii Hugh Brown, b 1745; d July 11, 1811; m Ruth Barney
xiii Joshua Brown, b 1748; d September 17, 1832; m Susanne ________
xiv [Assigned by tradition]
xv [Assigned by tradition]
xiv [Assigned by tradition]

2 comments:

  1. Tim, thank you for this post and your other post on the Brown family. I descend from George down through Edward and Margaret, then through their son John. Just managed to break through a brick wall on this. DNA showed the strong Durbin connection. Thanks for bringing me up to speed more quickly on this bunch. Your post was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete