Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The ALEXANDRIA PAPERS #2

O L D   D A Y S   -or-   S U R V I V I N G   T H E   6 0s

I never meant to do it. I started my own business...


Dad thought that Lawnboy mowers were the best, at least until he got a part-time job at Sears. Employee discounts are important. Accordingly, every other week or so, as needed, Dad would give me a quarter (yes, I literally mean twenty-five cents) to fill the one-gallon gas can and make sure I brought home the change! I dutifully grabbed the can and walked past my neighbors, Ed and Gene Maxwell, often sitting on the front porch, to the gas station where Burt Burgoon would pump a gallon of gas and I would walk home with a full can of gas, a nickel, and a penny. Eventually, I would mow a few of yards in Alexandria.

My regret was not stopping to ask Ed Maxwell to tell me more. Let's go back to World War I (1914-1918) to find out why.

The US Air Force renamed Lockbourne Air Force Base after local legend Eddie "Cap'n Eddie" Rickenbacker. This is, in my opinion, right. Mott's Military Museum in Grove Port has a copy of Cap'n Eddie's house on the grounds. Warren Mott was also able to procure a surplus radar scope that I used when I was a US Air Force Captain to run NORAD's Southeast Sector, but I digress. Please support Mott's Military Museum, even if you just visit there. You will find Arnold Schwartzenegger's tank there from when he served in the Austrian army. But I digress...

After Rickenbacher's experience in World War I came to an end, Cap'n Eddie still felt the need, the need for speed. To race fast, he needed an ace engine mechanic. Somehow, he hooked up with Ed Lehman. I really wish I knew more. When I ran a Bob Evan's Restaurant, I met Rickenbacher's biographer when he stopped by for dinner on his way home from Indianapolis. But I digress...

Meanwhile, and I haven't looked up the dates, Ed Lehman married Miss Mary Maxwell, sister of Ed Maxwell, my neighbor. To be sure, I was a fan of the family. Ed and Mary's father, Bruce Maxwell, kept beehives on the back of Ed Lehman's property - he was an older widower and lived with Ed and Mary next to Ollie May Parker. Mary took good care of Ollie Mae in her years. Neighbors take care of neighbors. I recall many, many times seeing Bruce Maxwell all suited up to collect honey. Bruce's honey was clover-rich and delicious, but the comb (Mom used the comb to chew instead of chewing gum) was also a real treat. Thank you, Mr. Maxwell.

Cap'n Eddie (sorry, so many Eds in this story) bought 'The Brickyard.' Today we know it better as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indianapolis 500. Cap'n Eddie needed his engines to perform at their peak, and Ed Lehman was Cap'n Eddie's man. I wish I had asked Ed Lehman more about this. Ed was a dear friend, but we never went beyond more than trivial conversation. I also knew all Ed had to do was listen to the engine idle and he could diagnose by sound. Meanwhile, his brother-in-law wanted to make sure your engine oil had been changed. I don't ever forget, thank you Ed. After the Eds sold the gas station, Ed Lehman went to work for Kenney Chevrolet and sold Dad a 1965 Malibu, which I wish I still had. Okay, it was four-door with a 350 automatic... but I digress.

As late as 1910, there was a creamery in Alexandria across from where CR 21 (Northridge Road... um, Appleton Road in my generation) ended at SR 37 (Main Street). At some point it became a gas station owned by Ed Lehman and Ed Maxwell. There's a whole another article coming on the gas stations and cars of Alexandria, but I digress...

Yeah, I don't remember that personally. I missed my chance by not asking. Sorry Ed. By the time I was sent to buy gas, the station was owned by Homer Harper, known among us kids as a great place to get STP stickers for our bikes. Besides, by then I had yards to mow...

An additional connection. Tony Hulman bought the Indy from Cap'n Eddie. I have good memories of Tony Hulman. Tony also owned WTHI, Terre Haute's first TV station. As a child, I eagerly waited to 10 AM when they would air episodes of Space Angel on my favorite TV station, WTHI, Channel 10 in Terre Haute, Indiana. Thank you, Tony...

No comments:

Post a Comment