Thursday, August 25, 2022

The Whiskey Papers #18 - Little Washington


I knew I wanted to go to Little Washington -- Southwestern Pennsylvania (SWPA).  Convincing my wife to go was another matter.  I had a lot I wanted to do.  In the end, she found it all worthwhile.  I found it a historian's paradise.

Washington County Historical Society.  I found details of my ancestor's life in old books and land deeds.  These were important clues to my family's past and helped me understand the Whiskey Rebellion and my family's role in it.

The George Washington Hotel.  This was a classic, elegant hotel whose days are gone but lie ahead.  The really big thing was that on September 14, 1964, the Beatles played at Civic Arena in Pittsburgh.  Fear that fans might find out where the Beatles were spending the night, their manager arranged for them to stay at the George Washington Hotel in Washington, Pennsylvania.  The hotel was gracious enough to upgrade our stay and placed us in the suite the Beatles had stayed in decades before.

Liberty Pole Spirits Jim and Ellen Hough got into the distilling business as Mingo Creek Craft Distillers.  Since then, they have produced their whiskeys and ryes for Liberty Pole Spirits.  I have learned so much about whiskey and the Whiskey Rebellion from these two.  I have tasted whiskey as my ancestors would have produced it.  I trust their mash bills as authentic to a tradition long gone.

More importantly, their knowledge of the Whiskey Rebellion strikes true.  This couple has single-handedly brought history to life.  I am indebted.

Fort Necessity Yes, the Father of our Country screwed up.  George's recce party killed a Frenchman.  George surrendered Fort Necessity and retreated to coast.  This allowed the French to fortify Pittsburgh and off we go into the French and Indian War.  The irony...   Washington started the war that would only end with the resolution of the American Revolution.  I plan to cover this in another series.

Christian W. Klay Vineyards and Ridge Runner Distillery I really recommend their Lavender Wine.  Not so sure about their whiskeys.

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum This was a real plus to see restored trolleys, interurbans, and other rail equipment from days past.  Gave me a real insight into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment